In 1941, a small group of Coronado residents, calling themselves the Coronado Players, began performing in the Coronado High School auditorium. The aspirations of this humble group were put on hold upon the bombing of Pearl Harbor as the United States entered World War II.
Coronado Playhouse was officially organized as the Coronado Players in February 1946, after the war. Beginning with The Male Animal in May of 1948, the group produced four successful seasons at the high school auditorium while selling tickets door to door. In 1949, the Players purchased a building and adjoining Quonset hut from the U.S. Navy at North Island. The building on the Strand, overlooking Glorietta Bay, was once used as a WAVE barracks and sentry house in WWII.